If you are struggling with chronic obesity, there is no time like the present to take control of your health and your life. At Tijuana Bariatrics, Dr. Fernando Garcia and Dr. David Vazquez offer a comprehensive range of bariatric surgery procedures designed to aid patients in losing massive amounts of weight. Procedures such as LAP-BAND® Surgery, gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve surgery, and gastric sleeve plication surgery can help patients not only lose weight but lead healthier lives, reducing their risks for a variety of serious diseases. In many cases, bariatric surgery turns out to be a true life saver for our patients.
The success of any weight loss surgery, however, is dependent upon the commitment of the patient to leading a healthy, active post-surgical lifestyle, full of exercise and proper eating habits. To promote this success, our doctors help patients understand the causes of obesity during consultations at our Tijuana, Mexico bariatric surgery center. While many people, including some of our patients initially, believe that obesity is caused exclusively by overeating, nothing could be further from the truth. Understanding the several potential causes of obesity can help patients to make healthier decisions in their post-surgical lives.
If you would like to find out whether you are a good candidate for bariatric surgery, we encourage you to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Garcia or Dr. Vazquez at Tijuana Bariatrics today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Obesity?
First, let’s acknowledge that overeating is one of the most common causes of obesity, and it is a likely contributor to most instances of morbid obesity. However, it is rarely the only cause, especially among people who are unable to lose the weight they need desperately to lose through conventional diet and exercise. The team at Tijuana Bariatrics helps patients to identify the causes of their obesity so that they can develop an individualized plan for success after their bariatric surgery procedures.
Aside from overeating, the most common causes of obesity include:
- Genetics: Unfortunately, some people are genetically predisposed to being obese. People whose mother, father, or both are obese are more likely also to be obese.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Many people simply do not get enough physical activity. It is particularly important for people who have jobs that require them to sit all day to get plenty of exercise, but too often they do not, which can contribute to obesity.
- Certain medications: Certain medications, including some antidepressants, anticonvulsants, diabetes medications, and corticosteroids, can contribute to weight gain.
- Emotions: Binge eating has become a very public phenomenon in recent years, although it has long been an issue among the chronically obese. Many people eat excessively when they are sad, bored, stressed, or angry.
- Certain diseases: Diseases such as polycystic ovary syndrome and hypothyroidism are linked to obesity.
Learn More about the Causes of Obesity
To learn more about the possible causes of obesity, or to schedule your initial consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons, we invite you to contact Tijuana Bariatrics today.