At Tijuana Bariatric Center, we proudly offer a comprehensive range of bariatric surgery solutions for patients who are struggling with obesity. Among the most popular and highly effective of these solutions is LAP-BAND® System surgery, a minimally invasive gastric banding procedure that offers the unique benefit of being completely reversible. LAP-BAND® System surgery offers the potential for massive weight loss without the need for surgical alteration of the stomach. The band can be modified at any time to accommodate more food if nutritional needs dictate, or it can be tightened to shrink the size of the stomach if desired. If a patient decides that the LAP-BAND® System is not right for him or her, the band can safely be removed altogether.
While the LAP-BAND® System may sound like an ideal weight-loss solution in nearly any case, it requires the same hard work and dedication to healthy living that any other form of bariatric surgery would. Unfortunately, not all patients are suitable candidates for LAP-BAND® System surgery. Dr. Fernando Garcia carefully evaluates LAP-BAND® System candidates at his Tijuana, BC bariatric surgery center to ensure that they can safely undergo the procedure with reasonable expectations of long-term success.
Are you a good candidate for LAP-BAND® System surgery? To find out, we encourage you to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Fernando Garcia at Tijuana Bariatric Center today.
Candidacy for LAP-BAND® System Surgery
Most people who are significantly overweight are considered good candidates for LAP-BAND® System surgery; however, patients who need to lose drastic amounts of weight as quickly as possible may be better suited to more traditional forms of bariatric surgery. Dr. Garcia assesses each patient’s individual case during consultations and recommends the treatment solution most likely to yield the best possible results given the circumstances.
In general, suitable candidates for LAP-BAND® System surgery will:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise, without long-term success.
- Have a BMI (body mass index) of 40 or higher, or between 35 and 39 with diseases or other health conditions related to obesity.
- Be committed to leading a healthy lifestyle, including diet and exercise, for the rest of his or her life after surgery.
- Have a network of support on which to rely, especially in the first few months after surgery.
- Understand that the LAP-BAND® System is not a quick solution to obesity and not become discouraged by the slow, steady nature of the weight loss that occurs after the procedure.
- Be willing to quit smoking permanently, if they smoke, and strictly limit alcohol consumption, if not give it up completely.
- Be willing to follow all post-operative instructions provided by Dr. Garcia to the absolute letter to ensure their health and the long-term success of their surgery.
Find Out Whether You Are a Good Candidate for LAP-BAND® System Surgery
To discover whether you are a suitable candidate for LAP-BAND® System surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia, please contact Tijuana Bariatric Center today.