Are You a Good Candidate for Gastric Sleeve Plication?
By Tijuana Bariatrics on November 21, 2016
Gastric sleeve plication is a true breakthrough in bariatric surgery. For the right candidates, it offers tremendous advantages over gastric bypass surgery as it does not require the removal of any healthy stomach tissue. Instead, sutures are used to create an internal pleat within the stomach, reducing its capacity and limiting the amount of food that it can contain. Like the LAP-BAND® procedure, but quite unlike traditional forms of bariatric surgery, gastric sleeve plication is completely reversible. The size of the portion of the stomach in which food is stored can be adjusted at any point during treatment, and the stomach can be returned to its original size and shape if the patient prefers.
Why then, you may ask, would any bariatric surgery patient not want to undergo gastric sleeve plication? Unfortunately, the procedure is not suitable for all patients. Our bariatric surgeons openly and honestly advise gastric sleeve plication candidates during consultations at our Tijuana, BC practice. At Tijuana Bariatrics, Dr. Fernando Garcia and Dr. David Vazquez carefully evaluate patients to ensure that they are good candidates for gastric sleeve plication before approving them for the procedure. For some patients, traditional gastric bypass surgery or another form of bariatric surgery still represents the best option.
For appropriate candidates, however, gastric sleeve plication can be a true life-changer - and life-saver. To find out whether you are a good candidate for this extraordinary procedure, please contact Tijuana Bariatrics today.
Candidacy for Gastric Sleeve Plication
The ideal candidate for gastric sleeve plication will be clinically obese, but will have a body mass index (BMI) of between 30 and 40. Patients with a BMI over 40 will have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The higher the BMI, the more likely the patient is to benefit from a more traditional form of bariatric surgery.
Otherwise, candidates for gastric sleeve plication should:
- Be willing and able to commit to a healthy post-surgical lifestyle. Gastric sleeve plication is the beginning of the journey toward a healthy weight; however, the journey itself requires hard work, including a healthy diet and exercise.
- Have made multiple serious attempts to lose weight through traditional means such as diet and exercise, without success. Candidates should consider gastric sleeve plication as a last resort after years of struggling with obesity.
- Understand all of the risks associated with the procedure, including the possible need for revisional surgery due to the separation of sutures.
- Be psychologically ready for the changes that gastric sleeve plication will bring about in their lives. These include not only lifestyle changes, but serious changes in the types and amounts of food the newly resized stomach can handle.
- Be aware of the support groups available to them, and have strong networks of support established and ready to help them prior to undergoing surgery.
Find Out Whether You Are a Good Candidate for Gastric Sleeve Plication
To learn whether you are a suitable candidate for gastric sleeve plication, please contact Tijuana Bariatrics today.