Patients who visit Tijuana Bariatrics routinely achieve excellent results through gastric sleeve (sleeve gastrectomy), an effective weight loss surgery option. There is the potential, however, that a gastric sleeve may fail. We'd like to go over the basics of these matters right now.
How common is gastric sleeve failure?
Gastric sleeve is less invasive and complicated than gastric bypass surgeries, which makes gastric sleeve safer and less prone to total failure or serious complications. Modern surgical techniques and sterilization methods have made the surgery much safer than it was in previous years as well.
Event though the chance of failure is low, it is possible for the gastric sleeve to fail, both in terms of overall surgical effectiveness as well as long-term weight loss results. Patients should be aware of these potential complications prior to the surgery being performed so they have realistic expectations about the procedure.
Common Causes of Sleeve Gastrectomy Failure
Some potential causes of sleeve gastrectomy failure include:
- Acid Reflux (GERD) - Patients run a risk of developing acid reflux following gastric sleeve surgery. Part of the reason for this is heavy meals, which can have a major effect on the smaller stomach pouch if patients are not mindful of what they are eating.
- Complications from Surgery - Poor sutures on the smaller stomach pouch, adhesions to other organs, infection, and other kinds of complications can lead to the failure of a gastric sleeve.
- Stretching of the Stomach Pouch - While the stomach is made smaller, gradual restretching of the stomach pouch may occur over time, resulting in weight gain or minimal long-term weight loss.
- Patients Do Not Make Sufficient Lifestyle Changes - If patients do not make changes to diet and activity level, this can lead to limited weight loss over the long run. Patients need to be active participants in the changes ahead following gastric sleeve.
What Patients Can Do to Prevent Gastric Sleeve Failure
There are many things patients can do to ensure success of gastric sleeve surgery and long-term weight loss. We recommend the following:
- Exercise regularly to help lose weight and keep it off
- Eat meals that are healthy as well as nutritious
- Find online and physical support groups for tips and moral support
- Speak about issues concerning weight loss surgery with your loved ones and your surgeon
- Meet with a counselor to discuss cravings, challenges, and other issues with overall wellness
How Our Surgical Team Prevents Gastric Sleeve Failure
In order to ensure success, our team always provides patients with ample information about pre-op and post-op concerns. This allows patients to understand the nature of gastric sleeve surgery and what they should expect.
Dr. Garcia and Dr. Vasquez take great care with surgery, checking the revised stomach pouch thoroughly and multiple times to avoid leakage and other potential problems. Patients are closely looked after in the early days of surgical healing in order to prevent complications and achieve the best possible surgical results.
Options for Revision and Correction Surgery
If you do encounter issues with your gastric sleeve procedure, Dr. Garcia and Dr. Vasquez can perform bariatric surgery revision procedures to address complications and promote weight loss. These revision options can be discussed in greater detail during your consultation.
Contact Dr. Fernando Garcia and Dr. David Vazquez
For more information about gastric sleeve surgery and how it can help you achieve a healthier and more ideal weight and body mass, be sure to contact our weight loss surgery center today. At Tijuana Bariatrics, we will work with you to ensure that you can have a healthier life going forward.